199 E 2nd Street View on Google Maps
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Between 1866 and 1887, over five million head of cattle were rounded up to make the five-month, 800-mile trip through Texas to railheads in Kansas. Fort Worth, the last "civilized" stop before Indian Territory, became an important supply center. With the stockyards and the growing number of area ranches in need of supplies, Fort Worth remained a "cowtown."
This Trail Marker is sponsored by the Elton and Christine Hyder Foundation.