Heritage Trails Sidewalk Marker Criteria
Fort Worth Heritage Trails, a collaboration between the Fort Worth Chamber Foundation, Downtown Fort Worth Inc., the Fort Worth Convention & Visitors Bureau and the City of Fort Worth, to develop and place historical markers in the downtown area that retrace Fort Worth’s rich history through stories of people, places and events. The project’s signature icon, the cubistic longhorn, is etched on all the project elements.
The Heritage Trails committee is composed of representatives from sponsoring organizations, local noted historians and business leaders from the Fort Worth Chamber’s Central Area Council. This group oversees the project, identifying topics of general historic significance, selecting locations of markers and raising funds for the project. Historians on the committee draft the marker text and select the visual images, which are then reviewed and approved by the entire committee.
Listed below are the guidelines for Heritage Trails sidewalk markers. If you are interested in sponsoring a
sidewalk marker, please contact Matt Beard at email@example.com.
Guidelines for sidewalk markers are:
- The primary content of a marker will be of general historical interest about Fort Worth people,
places or events and should avoid addressing single buildings or solely current commercial uses
- Markers will conform to the existing Heritage Trails size and design specifications.
- Placement, installation and content of markers will be coordinated with the Heritage Trails
- The Heritage Trails committee can draft copy, or copy may be submitted to be edited and
approved by the committee. Copy shall not exceed 900 characters.
- A graphic image must be approved by the committee and proper credit given to owner of
- A walking map will be available at multiple locations around the downtown area with each
marker located on the map. Maps will be revised and updated periodically.
- Depending on the location, marker production generally takes 12‐16 weeks to produce.
- Payment in full is required before production is started. For sponsorship information, please
contact Matt Beard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about the Fort Worth Heritage Trails markers may be found here.