Rental assistance available during COVID-19 crisis
See full City of Fort Worth article here.
To ease the burden on renters during the COVID-19 outbreak, the Texas Supreme Court and Tarrant County have temporarily suspended eviction court hearings with few exceptions. The Texas Supreme Court’s suspension runs through April 19, and Tarrant County’s is in place indefinitely.
“This decision by the Texas Supreme Court offers a lifeline to many Texans who are beginning to feel the economic impact of COVID-19,” said Gov. Greg Abbott. “Temporarily suspending residential eviction proceedings will provide Texans whose personal income has been affected by the spread of this virus with greater flexibility to meet their housing needs and provide for their families.”
The moratorium on evictions should give renters time to file for and receive unemployment benefits or coronavirus-specific aid from the federal government, but tenants might still face problems if they fail to make payments.
Help is available
The City of Fort Worth Community Action Partners program is accepting mail-in PDF applications or online applications for electric, gas or propane utility bill assistance or rental assistance. Download an application or call 817-392-5720.
Some facts about the rental assistance program:
- Landlords must register with the city as a vendor.
- Payments are made directly to the landlord or property management company.
- Funding is limited and based on income eligibility. Applicants are encouraged to pay as much as they can on their rent or mortgage.
- Due to the high volume of applications, expect delayed processing times.
- Applicants must provide these documents:
- Proof of citizenship or legal status in the United States, such as a passport, birth certificate or resident alien card.
- Proof of income for the past 30 days for everyone over the age of 18 in the household.
- Photo identification.
- Social Security numbers for everyone in the household.
- Copy of the utility bill (gas, electric or propane).
- Signed SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) documents for everyone in the household.
- Signed Declaration of Income form (to be used if the applicant has no income).
- For rental assistance, present a signed, current lease document.
In addition, the Tarrant County Department of Human Services can provide assistance rent and utilities. Call 817-531-5620 during regular business hours.